The Sponsored Parent (Temporary) subclass 870 Visa allows parents and grandparents to reside in Australia continuously for 5 years, or up to 10 years if they apply for a second visa after a short period outside of Australia. Up to 15,000 visas may be granted each year, and will cost:
$5000 for a 3 year visa;
$10,000 for a 5 year visa; and
$20,000 for a 10 year visa.
To be eligible, parents must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor, who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
Furthermore, visa applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be sponsored by an approved parent sponsor
- Be outside Australia for at least 90 days if the applicant holds or has previously held a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa
- Not paid for visas conduct
- Provide proof of access to funds
- Provide proof of health insurance
- Not have outstanding public health debt
- Fulfil health, character, and national security requirements.
Sponsorship applications open from 17 April 2019, and once approved sponsored parents can apply for the new parent visa which are expected to open from 1 July 2019.