By Traci Chen | Lawyer | MARA no. 1793395
The 407 Visa is a temporary visa for people wishing to take on occupational training or professional development activities in Australia.
You are eligible if:
- you have 12 months of work experience attained within the last 2 years relevant to the role
- graduated in the last 12 months with qualification closely related to the nominated occupation and meet minimum qualification requirements for the profession
This visa permits you to work for your sponsor in your profession, while taking part in an approved structured training program by your employer.
In order to qualify for this visa, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old (or have exceptional circumstances)
- Possess functional English (equivalent to IELTS 4.5 average)
- Provide proof that you are able to support yourself in Australia financially
- Sincerely plan to stay in Australia temporarily for the proposed purpose
- Meet the health and character requirements
- Have private health insurance
There are three streams you can apply for the 407 visa through:
- Occupational Training based in the workplace
For applicants who have recent qualifications/experience, who intend to complete an approved training structure in the workplace to develop their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise.
The training plan is to be provided by the sponsoring organisation and must be a minimum of 30 hours a week. At least 70% of the training must take place in the workplace, and the other 30% can be classroom training.
- Occupational Training for capacity building overseas
For applicants who wish to complete a professional development training programme or internship in Australia as part of their qualification. Overseas employers can also send their managerial or professional workers to Australia to undertake a customised professional development programme, expected to take place in a classroom or similar environment.
- Occupational Training required for registration
For applicants aiming to gain registration, membership, or licencing to work in Australia or home country. This stream is applicable only for occupations that legally require licensing in Australia or in the applicant’s country of passport.
The visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years, so long as you continue your training. During this time, you will not be allowed to undertake work other than your approved occupational training program under which the visa was granted, as per condition 8102. While minimum salary requirements may not apply, any salary payable to trainees must abide by the Australian labour laws and practices.
You can complete the application online, regardless of the country you are residing in, and can include spouses and children in your application.
So what can I do for you?
We can assist 407 visa applicants and their employers throughout the visa process. We deliver advice and application supervision throughout these applications to guarantee they are not overwhelmed and receive the best possible result.